FANDOM


  • Up until I first looked up Alvin and the Chipmunks on Wikipedia, after first watching the new series "Alllvin! and the Chipmunks, I always thought Simon was the oldest. Okay maybe not always but I thought Simon was the oldest. Now I see that Alvin is, but it doesn't seem like it to me.

    And it's not just because Simon is the tallest but in the 1980s series, Alvin copied Simon's book report (I only saw that episode once and that was back in 1999 if not later, at least that's the only time I remember watching it, I may have seen it before then.) And I thought Simon did the report the year before and I thought Simon was older and I may have thought a grade level higher than Alvin.

    THE TRUTH, IT BURNS!!! Just giving drama. I don't remember "Grounded Chipmunk" but I guess it is logical that Alvin would be the oldest.

    I honestly still like to think Simon is the oldest and Alvin came second.

    I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought Simon was the oldest. Any of you think the same thing?

      Loading editor
    • Personally I'd avoid Wikipedia when looking for Alvin information (I've seen some strange stuff over there that can linger).

      You aren't the only one to believe Simon is the oldest, based either on height or maturity. It's one of the biggest misconceptions in the franchise. In the 80s series, Simon's five minutes younger than Alvin. In the CGI films, their age is never mentioned, but, in the CGI series, Simon is actually older than Alvin (stated in The Sub when Alvin referred to himself as the "middle child" during the teacher-parent conference with Dave). This fact is perhaps to go along with the perception in the fan base that Simon's the oldest.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, I was told Wikipedia isn't a very reliable source, well it isn't always and I've seen it for myself. One of my college instructors also told me  Wikipedia gets outdated, or the info on it.

      I didn't think I was the only one to believe Simon was the oldest and I choose to hold on to that belief, though now some parts of me are believing Alvin is so now there's an inner debate going on inside me.

      But I believe Simon is older for the same reason some people (or at least cartoon characters) believe in aliens: because I want to, or choose to.

        Loading editor
    • According to the official website of Toggo Alvin is the oldest chipmunk of the three in the series Alvinnn!!! and the Chipmunks.

        Loading editor
    • Streifenhörnchen wrote:
      According to the official website of Toggo Alvin is the oldest chipmunk of the three in the series Alvinnn!!! and the Chipmunks.

      Yep, that's noted on Simon's page. Regardless though what's stated directly in the series takes precedence over what a website states.

        Loading editor
    • I also think so, just an additional clue...

        Loading editor
    • This is what Alvin says in the episode:

      "Simon has been very troublesome in class. Is there something at home I should know about? I see here that you have three children and are not very nice to the middle on."

      Anyone think maybe he was talking about Simon not Alvin when he said middle child?

        Loading editor
    • Glassbooks wrote:
      Anyone think maybe he was talking about Simon not Alvin when he said middle child?

      When is Dave "not very nice" to Simon?

        Loading editor
    • Never but I think that may have been Alvin stirring up trouble like he said "Is there something at home I should know about?". 

        Loading editor
    • I personally think that the quote from the episode "Grounded Chipmunk" "I have never been alone except those 5 minutes before Simon was born" from Alvin was probably only a joke by the writers. Are there any other pieces of official evidence to prove Alvin's the oldest?

        Loading editor
    • That statement doesn't seem like a joke to me (would be a bad joke personally). This is the only evidence of age in the 80s series I recall (there are still a couple dozen episodes I haven't seen or seen in English). I heard at one time someone mention that there was an age reference in one of the books though I can't confirm that claim.

        Loading editor
    • Personally I think that Simon CERTAINLY the oldest. He is much more educated and wiser than his brothers, which means he has life experience. Also he is the tallest one, his voice like in mutation period, unlike Alvin, for example... I think on man's age he is fifteen.

        Loading editor
    • I have no preference on who's the oldest in the new series but I can tell you that being the tallest doesn't always make you the oldest. I have an olser sister but she's smaller then me. If I had to pick though I'd go with Alvin or Simon but we'd need more conformation for me to be absolutely sure.

        Loading editor
    • I thought so too it would actually make more sense for Simon to be the oldest tallest Alvin middle height shorter than Simon taller than Theodore youngest and shortest.

        Loading editor
    • I thought Simon was older, not due to height. If you watch all of the stuff, (I am a 90s kid so I watched them a lot growing up) you will see Simon takes the fatherly role when Dave is not around. More so for Theodore than Alvin but he does have moments for Alvin as well.

        Loading editor
    • Height and "fatherly" personality traits are not dependent on age. Height at least can be dependent on two things: genetics and nutrition.

      Personally I have a neutral stance on this debate. I just accept the age order as stated in the canon of each continuity. I have no problem with Alvin being the oldest by 5 minutes in the 80s series, nor do I have a problem with Simon being the oldest in the movieverse and Nick series; though I'm not sure which one's older in the 60s series.

        Loading editor
    • Simon is the oldest in Nick's Alvin series. However, in the 80's series, Alvin is the oldest. 

        Loading editor
    • In the Alvin Show and the 80s series, Alvin is the oldest, you are right, WillTheArthurandBusterFan. The info for the boys gas been modified since the series was debuted, but it states that Simon is in fact the oldest, by eight seconds. It varies depending on which cartoon you talk about, so be careful. And I think the same info in Grounded Chipmunk (which I haven't seen in years) is mentioned in Every Chipmunk Tells A Story. Here's the link for evidence in the new series: https://chipmunks.com/chipmunks

      Glassbooks, I went on Chipmunks.com when I first found out (in 2014/5), and the Togo website didn't copy the info correctly. Although descriptions were written in a way that were confusing to the target audience, I was able to understand the profile info. It seems that Simon's profile was written with more complex language than the others', like the comprehension was harder than Charles Dickens' works (that's my definition of medium hard). There was a ton of figurative language in the profiles then, seems clearer now, although I still don't get why they are describing Simon as a "chessmaster". Maybe use "logical thinking" or "logically-minded" instead. 
      

      In the CG series, Squeakquel profile booklets (and I believe the UK limited editon of Battle of the Bands) had an abstract on the right page about one of the Chipettes, and on the left page was a basic profile with height, preferences (favorite food) and age order. These came in the US with limited edition cola (which was disgusting, I had it) flavoured airheads. I got a Simon/Jeanette one, and it mentioned that Simon is one minute older than Alvin. DEmersonJMFM, good picking out info.

        Loading editor
    • Tan&Nerdy wrote:
      In the Alvin Show and the 80s series, Alvin is the oldest, you are right, WillTheArthurandBusterFan.

      Where is this stated in The Alvin Show? I've seen every episode and nearly all the Chipmunk segments and do not recall this every being stated. Plus Rugratskid, the guy who has just about everything from that series, couldn't recall any statement about Alvin's age in the series when I asked him a long while ago.

        Loading editor
    • WillTheArthurandBusterFan5050 wrote:
      Up until I first looked up Alvin and the Chipmunks on Wikipedia, after first watching the new series "Alllvin! and the Chipmunks, I always thought Simon was the oldest. Okay maybe not always but I thought Simon was the oldest. Now I see that Alvin is, but it doesn't seem like it to me.

      And it's not just because Simon is the tallest but in the 1980s series, Alvin copied Simon's book report (I only saw that episode once and that was back in 1999 if not later, at least that's the only time I remember watching it, I may have seen it before then.) And I thought Simon did the report the year before and I thought Simon was older and I may have thought a grade level higher than Alvin.

      THE TRUTH, IT BURNS!!! Just giving drama. I don't remember "Grounded Chipmunk" but I guess it is logical that Alvin would be the oldest.

      I honestly still like to think Simon is the oldest and Alvin came second.

      I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought Simon was the oldest. Any of you think the same thing?

      i feel like its kind of like super mario, how luigi is the tallest yet, he is younger. i always thought that simon was the middle child and it does make sense in some twisted way. also the theme song is: ALVIN SIMON THEODORE. simon is in the middle. i think this is  referring to there age in the group.

        Loading editor
    • Cherry Chipmunk wrote:
      WillTheArthurandBusterFan5050 wrote:
      Up until I first looked up Alvin and the Chipmunks on Wikipedia, after first watching the new series "Alllvin! and the Chipmunks, I always thought Simon was the oldest. Okay maybe not always but I thought Simon was the oldest. Now I see that Alvin is, but it doesn't seem like it to me.

      And it's not just because Simon is the tallest but in the 1980s series, Alvin copied Simon's book report (I only saw that episode once and that was back in 1999 if not later, at least that's the only time I remember watching it, I may have seen it before then.) And I thought Simon did the report the year before and I thought Simon was older and I may have thought a grade level higher than Alvin.

      THE TRUTH, IT BURNS!!! Just giving drama. I don't remember "Grounded Chipmunk" but I guess it is logical that Alvin would be the oldest.

      I honestly still like to think Simon is the oldest and Alvin came second.

      I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought Simon was the oldest. Any of you think the same thing?

      i feel like its kind of like super mario, how luigi is the tallest yet, he is younger. i always thought that simon was the middle child and it does make sense in some twisted way. also the theme song is: ALVIN SIMON THEODORE. simon is in the middle. i think this is  referring to there age in the group.

      I too thought Luigi was older than Mario since he was taller but I read somewhere that Mario is older (sorry to go off-topic y'all and we should keep on topic, but I had the exact same thought!)

        Loading editor
    • yea any way another thing cause i saw the official website if simon is the oldest the would jeanette (ugh) be the oldest chipette? hm...

        Loading editor
    • It seems that it depends on what part of the franchise as to what the age order is, so both Cherry Chipmunk and WillTheArthurAndBusterFan are right. I was going to say something about the information from the official website, but it seems that age order is only really mentioned subtly in Simon and Theodore's profiles. It seems implied in the movies that Jeanette is the oldest of the girls, but we have not really had much Chipette screen time in the new series

        Loading editor
    • Tan&Nerdy wrote:
      It seems that it depends on what part of the franchise as to what the age order is, so both Cherry Chipmunk and WillTheArthurAndBusterFan are right. I was going to say something about the information from the official website, but it seems that age order is only really mentioned subtly in Simon and Theodore's profiles. It seems implied in the movies that Jeanette is the oldest of the girls, but we have not really had much Chipette screen time in the new series

      oh i did not know that jeanette was the oldest in the cgi movies. 

        Loading editor
    • Just because it is implied does not always mean it's true. We don't really know the girls age order in the films as it's not stated anywhere.

        Loading editor
    • David Alvinson wrote:
      Just because it is implied does not always mean it's true. We don't really know thw girls age order in the films as it's not stated anywhere.

      oh. i dont even like those movies anyway

        Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM
      DEmersonJMFM removed this reply because:
      Off-topic.
      05:39, March 20, 2019
      This reply has been removed
    • Well I for one am very glad that this newest CGI series made Simon and Alvin switch places in the birthing order; because the way it was before made little to no sense, and I'll never understand why it was like that in the very first place. : /

      I mean Alvin is already middle height being taller than Theodore yet Shorter than Simon; plus he dosen't behave quite responsible however doesn't act very infantile, and Simon is the tallest and is the most mature so he seems like the best fit for for being the first born brother.

      Now as for the Chipette's I know that it was Brittney as the oldest and Jeanette as the middle one; but since their male counterparts switched place I am going to assume that those 2 did as well and it went with out saying, making Jeanette now oldest and Brittney now the middle as of 2015 for the new show.

      I also think that orginally the 3 brothers were triplettes seeing as they were born with in minutes of each other and the 3 sister must have been triplettes aswell and born minutes apart; but in this newest series they all seem to be celebrating birthdays one episode at a time no longer making ay of them triplettes, and since Jeannet had her birthday in season one before Brittney who's was in season 4 that should tell who is the oldest sister.

      Now we just need Eleanore to have a birthday.  :)

        Loading editor
    • It making "little to no sense" before makes just as much sense as basing age on height and maturity. Regardless, being eight seconds older (as was included in many network descriptions for Simon) or five minutes younger (as stated by Alvin in the 80s series) isn't going to make much difference here.

        Loading editor
    • Maturity and height has nothing to do with age. Just because Alvin is rebellious and slightly smaller than Simon doesn’t mean he’s younger. It’s just genetics. In the 1983 series, Alvin is the eldest, but in the 2015 series Simon is the eldest. In the 2007 CGI/live action movies and the 1961 Alvin show, I don’t think there is evidence of which Chipmunk is older.


      Okay, going a little off topic here. I know by a fact that in the 1983 series, the Chipmunks were triplets, but in the 2015 series I noticed the Chipmunks celebrated their birthdays in different days, instead of together which makes them not triplets. In the Alvin show and the CGI/Live action movies, I don’t recall seeing a birthday episode or scene so I honestly don’t know. However I sometimes think in the 3 other incarnations, especially the 2015 series that Simon and Alvin are twins and Theodore is their little brother. I could be wrong because I don’t think there is evidence, but I have a feeling that Simon and Alvin could possibly be twins.

        Loading editor
    • They're still triplets in the new show but most likley celebrate separate birthdays.

        Loading editor
    • David Alvinson wrote: They're still triplets in the new show but most likley celebrate separate birthdays.

      How do you know, they never said they were in the 2015 series, did they. If the boys had a birthday on the same day, then the boys would most likely think separately of what they want to do, rather than celebrating together in a sense. However celebrating separate birthdays could be a good idea. It could be in different months and not different days. In the 2015 show, sometimes people mention them as “Seville brothers”. In the 1983 series the boys celebrated on the 14th of a month

        Loading editor
    • Well considering they're all in the same school year. I don't know how often chipmunks reproduce in a year but given they've always been known as triplets I cant see why they would change it for the new series.

        Loading editor
    • David Alvinson wrote: Well considering they're all in the same school year. I don't know how often chipmunks reproduce in a year but given they've always been known as triplets I cant see why they would change it for the new series.

      In the 2015 series, if the kids (I’m talking both Chipmunks and Chipettes) celebrate their birthdays on separately, but are in the same grade, it could be possible that they were born months apart, or it could also be possible that the teachers in some classes are teaching two grades at the same time. I know some schools and some classes teach two grades or all the grades in some, not just one. However I don’t really see why the kids don’t actually share a birthday if they are triplets, because I know the kids shared a birthday in the 1980’s series. However chipmunks reproduce a few times a year, usually in spring and summer, depends on the species.

        Loading editor
    • I'm perfectly aware that being the tallest and or most repsonsible behaving does not automaticly make somebody the oldest; so no need to point out to me that height plus maturity equals senority because I get it, I'm just saying that in the case of Simon his character always struck me as "First Born" and in my own opinion it shoud have been that way from the start. I don't know what made the creators of the franchise finally decide to have him switch places in the birthing order with Alvin  after having him be the "middle brother" for decades but I'm glad that they made the change.

      I also like the theories that Leah gave as to why the six main kids are all in the same grade and class; even they don't seem to be triplettes anymore since they all have birthdays in separate episodes, I just always assmumed that Chipmunks and Chipettes were put in the same room at school because they creators wanted them to all be together or at least in close contact.  

      Which is why the boys share a bedroom; and the girls live in a treehouse that is right next door to the Seville house, rather than their treehouse being located some where in the forest like it was in the past.

        Loading editor
    • Rubyredrose2468 wrote:
      I'm perfectly aware that being the tallest and or most repsonsible behaving does not automaticly make somebody the oldest; so no need to point out to me that height plus maturity equals senority because I get it, I'm just saying that in the case of Simon his character always struck me as "First Born" and in my own opinion it shoud have been that way from the start. I don't know what made the creators of the franchise finally decide to have him switch places in the birthing order with Alvin  after having him be the "middle brother" for decades but I'm glad that they made the change.

      I also like the theories that Leah gave as to why the six main kids are all in the same grade and class; even they don't seem to be triplettes anymore since they all have birthdays in separate episodes, I just always assmumed that Chipmunks and Chipettes were put in the same room at school because they creators wanted them to all be together or at least in close contact.  

      Which is why the boys share a bedroom; and the girls live in a treehouse that is right next door to the Seville house, rather than their treehouse being located some where in the forest like it was in the past.

      Bingo! 

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.