Kickin' It Old School is an episode of the ALVINNN!!! and The Chipmunks series.
Fed up with seeing how dependent The Chipmunks have become on their technology, Dave decides to take them camping for a weekend, without electricity, cell service or the Internet. But what seems like a good idea turns into a nightmare for Dave and our boys.
While Dave prepares for their camping trip, Alvin tries to take the video game Simon's playing by threatening to fart on him. Dave has a computer issue that Theodore fixes with basic computer knowledge taught in Nursery School. As Dave describes their trip in the car, the boys are too dissolved within their video games to listen. They arrive at the cabin to discover it run down and nothing like advertised - including no cell service, internet, or electricity. Dave goes to check out the town while Alvin, who's freaking out, and his brothers stay in the cabin. After they learn the town is a ghost town, Dave and Alvin play using their imagination. That night, after Dave's freak out trying to get cell service as Alvin tried earlier, Dave tells a story the boys find lame so they go to bed. The next day they hike to a lake where they rope swing, find berries, make shadow puppets, catch fireflies, and roast marshmallows. Around the fire, Dave tells an improved version of his story and succeeds in scaring them. Soon after they leave The Chipmunks are once again back to their video games. Back home, Dave's having computer issues again so Simon offers to give him computer lessons. Simon invites Dave outside where his brothers are waiting to spend a little more time connecting with nature.
- Dave states that he is an Eagle Scout, the highest rank in Boy Scouts.
- Goof: The moon is shown as a crescent but in another later scene it's shown as a full moon.
- Goof: There are stars visible through the dark side of the crescent moon.
- The first time The Chipmunks are seen in their swimming trunks. However, it is also used as their boxers.
- Theodore could fix a minor problem on Dave's laptop which is something Dave couldn't do.
- It is possible Theodore regularly eats his boogers, as he ate his booger in the car. (Off-screen)
- The book The Campout Challenge is based on this episode.
- Part of the Back to School DVD.