Alvin and the Chipmunks and the Magic Camera was a 1984-1985 live Broadway "rock concert," The Chipmunks' first live musical performance featuring Dave Seville and many additional dancers, based on the Alvin and the Chipmunks characters. The approximately hour-and-40-minute-long performance was produced by Steven Goldberg, directed by Joe Gannon, written by Fred Smoot and Jay Grossman, and choreographed by Nancy Gregory.
The Chipmunks use a magic camera capable of putting themselves in any movie they choose. The evil Shutter Bug steals the Magic Camera in order to rule the world, and The Chipmunks work to get it back and teach Shutter Bug a lesson.
Performance Locations and Dates
- Feb. 20th - Feb. 26th, 1984 @ Madison Square Garden in New York
- Mar. 10th - Mar. 11th, 1984 @ Madison Square Garden in New York
- Oct. 3rd - Oct. 7th, 1984 @ Stabler Arena in Pennsylvania
- Oct. 17th - Oct. 21st, 1984 @ The Summit - Greenway Plaza in Texas
- Nov. 1st - Nov. 4th, 1984 @ UT Erwin Center in Texas
- Feb. 6th - Feb. 10th, 1985 @ Dallas Convention Center Arena in Texas
- Mar. 14th - Mar. 17th, 1985 @ Sacramento Memorial Auditorium in California
- This is the first live broadcast where Alvin Seville doesn't have his hat.
- Chipmunks Off The Old Block Coming To Stabler, Articles.mcall.com, Retrieved 2014-12-19.
- Stage Review : Kids' Night Out With Three Cheeky Chipmunks, Articles.latimes.com, Retrieved 2014-12-19.
- '80s Ad Breaks Vol. 8 - January 1985, Youtube.com, Retrieved 2014-12-19.
- Pittsburgh Post Gazette - Nov 14, 1984, Books.google.com, Retrieved 2014-12-19.
- New York Magazine - Feb 27, 1984, Books.google.com, Retrieved 2014-12-19.
- New York Magazine - Mar 12, 1984, Books.google.com, Retrieved 2014-12-19.
- Texas Monthly - Oct 1984, Books.google.com, Retrieved 2014-12-19.
- Texas Monthly - Nov 1984, Books.google.com, Retrieved 2014-12-19.
- Lodi News Sentinel - Mar 7, 1985, Books.google.com, Retrieved 2014-12-19.