A Rose by Any Other Name is an episode of the ALVINNN!!! and The Chipmunks series.
Simon's experiment of how plants respond to positive or negative feedback creates a monster, and it's growing.
Gathered in Simon's Lab, Alvin, Theodore, and The Chipettes listen to Simon as he reveals a scientific breakthrough involving plants. He explains the effects of positive dialogue, causing the plant to stand straight and green, while the negative dialogue droops the plant and it loses a leaf. To strengthen his theory Simon modifies the plants' genes to be stronger and grow quicker. Despite Jeanette being the only one really interested in the experiment, the blue-clad chipmunk shows off the fully grown plants (a pink lily and a thorny fly trap) again though this time earning him more praise. As the days pass Dave expresses his concern for the safety of the experiment and wishes he stop. Meanwhile, Venus escapes from the lab and eats Miss Croner's flowers. Simon confronts the plant, learning it ate Lily and Miss Croner's flowers (Venus also expresses interest in eating Theodore, unbeknownst to Simon or Theo). He proceeds to get rid of the growth chemicals and the music from the headphones, but Venus turns the music back on before finding and drinking the growth chemicals. Much larger now, Venus raids and begins destroying The Chipettes' Treehouse. Simon concludes that they have to replace the negative headphones with the positive ones in order to stop the plant. Successful in saving everyone, Venus becomes a resident in a yoga studio.
- "Bad to the Bone" originally performed by George Thorogood & The Destroyers.
- The episode's title is a reference to the phrase "A rose by any other name." from the William Shakespeare play, Romeo and Juliet.
- This episode is likely a parody of the 1986 fantasy/science-fiction movie, Little Shop of Horrors.
- This episode was originally listed under the title A Rose By Another Name.
- This episode marks the first time a cover song is sung in the series.
- This is the first time in the series that Dave yells Simon's name.
- Simon named one of his plants "Lily." This could be a reference to The Chipmunks' dog, Lilly that appeared in the 1980s series.
- Top 150 Saturday Cable Originals: 2.23.2019, Showbuzzdaily.com, Retrieved 2019-02-26.
- Alvinnn!!! and the Chipmunks: A Rose By Another Name, Nickalive.blogspot.com, Retrieved 2018-08-30.